Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Extra Chesse, Please.

I'm currently watching a corny Christmas movie. I actually started watching them earlier than usual this year, back at the beginning of November. I use them to counteract what I call my holiday depression. I have always struggled with this time of year. When I was growing up we didn't have a lot of money or a lot of relatives near by. We were lucky to have the few presents we got, and there wasn't money for me to purchase gifts for my close friends. It was stressful knowing that I wouldn't be able to give a gift in return should I happen to get one. Even now gift buying is super stressful. I struggle to know what the perfect gift is for some people. I've eliveated some of this stress by enstating a 'no Christmas presents for adults' rule. The exception being for parents and grandparents. My reasoning on that is, there were many years when we were growing up that we received gifts but, since we were children, we didn't give gifts in return. Somehow, children are just easier for me to buy for.
Now back to my my holiday depression and my unconventional treatment method. There's just something about the predictability of all the hallmark/lifetime Christmas movies that is comforting. I know that by the end of the film everything will be okay. They are light hearted and overly sentimental, but sometimes, when the real holidays are too much to handle, it's far easier to escape into one of these films. For those of you who could use a little movie therapy, or those who just enjoy a good cheesy movie, here's a list of my favorites, in no particular order:
1. The Mistle-tones
2.12 Dates of Christmas
3. Pete's Christmas
4. Dear Santa
5. I'll be Home for Christmas
6. Love Actually
7. Holidaze
8. Holiday in Handcuffs
9. Holiday Engagement
10. A Snowglobe Christmas
11. A Very Merry Mix-up
12. Christmas Under Wraps
13. Let it Snow

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few, but these are the ones I watch the most, and I find new ones almost everyday. Leading me to believe that whatever the reason, there are others, like me, who need these movies too.

No comments:

Post a Comment