Friday, May 29, 2015

A Harrowing Experience

Okay, so probably not really, but bear with me for a bit. While taking the small one to gymnastics class this morning I noticed a baby crow just sitting in the middle of the road. My first thought was I have to save him. He's going to get run over and then I'll be really upset to see squished baby crow on our way back home. However I should mention that I'm mildly terrified of birds. Really I  have no idea why, and I realize how irrational it is, but I'm terrified none the less. I turn the car around and then stop in the middle of the road a few feet from the crow, put my hazards on and get out of the car. It should also be noted that all of the roads around where we live have a speed limit of  25, it's not a super busy road and traffic goes realativly slow. As I approch the crow there are two crows in the trees above me that start sqwaking at me and swoop down at me. Yikes! I'm mildly concerned that they are going to attack me and peck the back of my head, but I can't leave the baby in the road. Luckily a man going the opposite direction also stopped. He was not as concerned about the swooping crows, and he just walked over, picked up the baby and deposited him in the brush on the side of the road. I thanked him and quickly got back in my car. I'd like to think that I could have overcome my fear and moved the bird to safety, but I was spared. Today that random man was a baby bird's savior as well as my personal hero. I don't know that he would have stopped on his own, but it was very kind of him to help even though I'm sure he thought I was a crazy lady. Always remember, it doesn't cost anything to be kind, and you never know whose day you might save by doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment