Sunday, September 9, 2012

Like Warm Apple Pie

If you get the reference in the title it seems as though this post is going to be dirty, when it's really only about fresh home made play dough. Doesn't it just look lovely? These particular colors remind me of bubble gum. Perhaps grape and I don't know, do they make sour apple gum? Maybe it's just the preschool teacher in me, but I love warm play dough right out of the pan. Not so crazy about the smell mind you, but I love the feel of it. Hence the title. When I think about warm play dough I hear the guys from the movie in which I made reference to earlier saying, 'It's like warm apple pie'. Nothing dirty about it, just soothing, and that's what play dough is all about for me. A chance to zone out and squish some dough.
For those interested, here's the recipe I used.


BEST HOMEMADE PLAYING DOUGH
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup salt
1 cup water
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 Tbl vegetable oil
1 drop food coloring
Mix all ingredients in a pan. Heat over medium to low heat for 3-5 minutes. Store in an airtight container or in locking plastic bags.

I use a whisk to get out the lumps, then use a rubber spatula to stir while cooking, although not sure if this is necessary. It comes together pretty quick, but I have a gas range so not sure if this makes a difference. Seem to recall that when I used the electric it took a little longer. Stir constantly. While cooking you will notice that it will start to get lumpy, sort of like scrambled eggs. Just keep stirring. It's done when it forms a ball and no longer looks wet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment